Monday, February 23, 2009

Guest Blogger: Food Road Trip to Penang

The below is from my wife who went with her father this past week to Penang for Crabs and Shrimp only to find out they were closed, see what she had to say:

So last week, my father and I decided to take a trip down to Penang for some seafood at this quaint little place by the sea. The name of the restaurant is Sea Pearl Lagoon Cafe and they're down by Tanjung Tokong. You won't find it unless you know where to look as it's inside a Chinese village that is inside a Malay kampung! They serve the most scrumpdelicious salt baked Ming Ha prawns and the most roe filled crabs I've ever seen before. The crabs have more eggs in them than meat. The way they're salt baked, you can really taste the aroma of the crab meat and eggs. There is no where else I would rather have my seafood than at this little restaurant that has been around for decades. And for 1kg of prawns and 1kg of crabs, I usually pay less than RM 100.



But sad to say, when we arrived, they weren't open. Imagine our disappointment having travelled close to 2 hours from Ipoh and finding out they were closed. So we took some pictures of the place for the blog but for pictures of the FOOD, check out this link that I found on Google:
Regina Travel Food Paradise

So we ended going to another old haunt of ours when we used to live in Penang. Song River on Gurney Drive is a little corner shop that serves bak kut teh during the morning and lunch hours. My husband and I used to wish the week to go by faster just so we can have our breakfast at this place during the weekends when we didn't have to work! The bak kut teh is good, I would say, but the dish that draws us in again and again, is the fried beancurd specialty they serve there. The beancurds are served with a side of cilantro and green onion dip and are just absolutely fantastic. The slightly crunchy texture on the outside of the beancurd and the soft melt in your mouth tofu in the center and dipped in the green onion mixture is indescribable. My pictures don't do justice to it. As for the bak kut teh, I thought it was a bit too peppery this time and the pork was tougher. I think Sun Lee and Sun Tong Chew in Ipoh are better.


Anyway hope next time you're in Penang, you can check out the seafood place. There's even a number you can call if you think you'll be unlucky like me and get there to find out they're closed!

2 comments:

  1. oh dear,
    i can imagine how disappointed when u reached there & found it was closed.
    I'm not aware they serve calamari rings, have you try them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've tried it before. I've tried their cockles before and they are huge! But you know me, my main thing there are the crabs and prawns. Not the satay or fried meehoon.

    ReplyDelete