Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Food of the Past Week

This past week my wife and I went to several places to eat. The first place, I do not really remember the name right now but once I do I will paste it up here. Anyway the food was very nice and tasty.

The Dry Curry Noodles with Roast Pork was very good, not enough pork though. The Curry Noodles was very good, made me want to come back for more. It was so crowded though, course this was the second day of CNY and not many other places were open for lunch.

Later on we went to Tong Shui Kai for Chili Crabs. All “I can say is WOW, they were the best. I know a lot of people say they are expensive, but really, how much more expensive are they really, compared to other places? The chili crabs were prepared in an extremely tasty hot and sweet chili sauce and you can really taste the difference of this place compared to other places.

When I first came to Malaysia around November 1999 I had chili crabs and have been having them ever since in various places, this was the first time I ate here only because I never liked the way the stalls looked over there on Dessert Street. Dirty and crowded and I was very worried about how the food might be or even if it was safe to eat. Well 10 years later I decided to give it a try and WOW WOW WOW is all I can say. I will be going to this place at least once every two weeks for crabs for now on.

These are the crabs we ordered, sorry about photo quality; it was taken on an HTC TyTTN II Phone Camera.

We also ordered a plate of Balitong (or as my wife and I like to call them: Sucky Snails) and they were just as good.

The next day my Wife and I went back to the same street and ate at another place down the road,

We ordered the Beef Tripe Soup without the tripe, we had just beef, yet one piece of tripe did make it in the soup (Sorry we do not like tripe). This was so good that I had three bowls of it, two for me and I then finished my wife’s.

I was also ill that night, had caught a cold (COLD not FLU). Most people in Malaysia say they have flu when really they have a cold. So once and for all here is what a Common Cold is and what FLU is:

Common Cold: Usually coughing, running or stuffed up nose, maybe also a headache. The cold is usually located either in your chest or in your throat, can also have a sore throat as well. Lasts from 3-8 days.

FLU: Your entire body hurts, every joint in your body is very sore, you are extremely tired, cannot eat at all, feel like you might throw up (vomit), your both hot and cold, usually your body is cold and your head feels very hot, you have a high temperature, you feel as though you want to or are going to die. You have literally no strength and this lasts no more than about 24 hours and then you are back to normal, sometimes can last for two days.

There is a very big difference of the two, FLU can and does kill people every year, while a cold is just a common cold. Also many people will ask have you seen a doctor. This is very strange for an American to hear because we know there is no medicine and absolutely nothing a doctor can do for a common cold, doctors all over the west will just tell you to go home, take some aspirin and drink chicken soup. Whereas for the Flu you can go and get a flu shot before flu season so you will not catch one.

1 comment:

  1. The place where you had the roast pork with dry curry noodles is called Nam Fatt located on Jalan Kampar. It's famous for being the first yeong tau foo place with air cond!

    ReplyDelete