Tuesday, February 24, 2009

David's Diner - Ipoh

Last night my wife, her father, niece and I went to David’s Diner located across from Greentown in Ipoh at B-G-1 Ground floor, Greentown Square. It is a small, friendly shop owned by a couple: one Malaysian and the other is an American: Dev Nathan and his wife: Dee Jay. The owners are successful in bringing quality service to their restaurant. Everyone there is very polite and always with a smile.

As for the food, this is my wife’s and I second trip to the place and I will state this second visit was excellent. The first visit there was very nice as well on February 13th, however there was a small problem with one dish I ordered (I will not mention it here as I assume the problem was more due to being new then carelessness) however, it was quickly remedied and everything ended very well.

The cuisine is more or less American (about as American you can get here in Ipoh and stay cost effective) and is designed to reach a broad spectrum in tastes. The cheeseburger I ordered was very good, I would say the second best in Ipoh, the first would still have to go to Maria’s which truly puts out a very tasty all beef hamburger with very strong chuck flavor. David’s Diner did do an excellent job though, the patty was homemade (cannot stand prefab burgers), and well garnished, it could stand to have a bit more chuck flavor and also be a little larger in scale. I also ordered the Mexican burrito while my wife ordered the Chicken Quesadilla. Both were extremely good in their own right. Tex-Mex food (that is what the above would be called) is a common theme in the US and only a handful of places I have been to can really make the above really stand out. Years ago I also ran a Tex-Mex place in Malaysia and while we did make everything very authentic, it was extremely time consuming and costly (we made our own tortillas, chili powder, sauces, etc.) If you want to try Tex-Mex that is very good (I would even say the best) and flavorful, then I would tell you David’s Diner is the place to go. Also if you want a tasty burger you will not go wrong at David’s either.

Oh and by the way Dee Jay makes the best damn oatmeal cooking and chocolate chip cookies I have “ever” had in Malaysia!!! Stop by and pick up a dozen or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment